Caramelized Fennel: The Best Fennel You’ll Ever Eat. The resulting dish is slightly sweet with just a pleasant touch of anise flavor.
- 2 small or 1 large fennel bulbs
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 shallots or a medium onion
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- sea salt and pepper
- 1/2 lemon (juice of)
YIELD: Serves 4 as a side dish
COURSE: Vegetables and Sides
- To start, cut the top and bottom off of the fennel. Then cut it in half widthwise, and then in half again. Remove the core, so that the fennel falls apart. Slice the fennel into about 1/4 - inch strips. Slice the garlic and chop the shallots.
- Preheat a large fry pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the olive oil followed by the fennel and a good pinch of salt. Toss to combine and let cook for a few minutes. As the fennel cooks and starts to color, toss occasionally until it starts to caramelize.
- Then add the shallots, stir together and continue to cook until the fennel softens a bit more, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- If the pan seems to be getting too brown before it has cooked through, just add a touch of water.Once the fennel has caramelized and softened, but still has a bit of crunch, add the garlic and let cook for another minute or so.
Then turn off the heat and deglaze with the lemon juice. Serve immediately.