Apple Country Chicken Thighs
This dish is perfect for easing into fall and comes together in one pan to boot. The thighs will finish cooking in the apple mixture, and the flavors will combine beautifully as they sit in the pan. Works with any fowl parts ( breasts, legs, tenders).
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large Nicola, Jonagold or Fuji apple, cored, and sliced
- 1 large yellow or sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- 4 ounces Mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon blending (or all-purpose) flour
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup Apple juice or cider (the cloudy kind is best)
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (1 1/2 per person)
- 1 tsp Dried Italian herbs, or basil or oregano
- Kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
YIELD: Serves 4
COURSE: Chicken & Other Birds
- To a large pan or skillet, add olive oil and heat over medium-high. Add chicken thighs and cook 3 minutes per side, with the lid on for the second half until the breasts are golden brown. Remove to a plate and keep warm.
- Add sliced apples, onion, lemon juice, garlic, mustard, mushrooms, and broth. Mix the flour and the apple juice, and add to the pan. Season with salt and pepper. Saute for about 6-7 minutes. until the apples are cooked and the sauce is somewhat thickened. Return chicken to pan and warm for 2 minutes.
- Pour sauce over the chicken. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.