Gratin de Courgettes et Tomate
As eaten by Margaret while teaching in England
- 2 lbs. zucchini
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb. tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 cloves, garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 8 tablespoons grated gruyere cheese
- 8 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
YIELD: Serves 12 as a side dish or 4-6 as a main dish
COURSE: Vegetables and Sides
- peel the zucchini, slice them thinly and place them in a colander. Sprinkle the zucchini with salt, tossing them gently and let stand for 1 hour.
- Pat the zucchini dry with paper towels. In a large skillet cook the zucchini in the butter, stirring, for 10 minutes or until just tender. Transfer the zucchini to a bowl and keep warm. Add to the skillet the tomatoes, basil and garlic. Cook the mixture, stirring, for 15 minutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated. Season the sauce with salt and pepper to taste and combine it with the zucchini. Divide the mixture among 4 gratin dishes (or place in a casserole dish). Sprinkle each of the dishes with 1/4 of the bread crumbs and 1/4 of each cheese. Dot each dish with a tablespoon of softened butter.
- Bake the zucchini in a preheated oven at 450 degrees F. for 10 minutes and brown it under a broiler. Serve.