Rainforest Crisp Crackers
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 cup raisins or dried cranberries or a combination thereof
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1/2 cup roasted pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup ground flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped rosemary
YIELD: 3 small loaves
COURSE: Bread and Baking
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Stir together the flour, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Add in the buttermilk, brown sugar and honey. Stir. Add in the remaining ingredients and stir again.
Pour the mixture into 2 4 inch by 8 inch loaf tins or 3 small loaf tins (oiled).
Bake approximately 45 minutes until golden and springy. Remove from pans, cool on rack and chill.
- The next day, heat your oven to 300 degrees. Slice the loaves very thinly and bake on an ungreased cookie sheet for 15 minutes, flip over and bake another 15 minutes, approximately. Cool and store in an airtight container.