Mozzarella, Ham, and Basil Panini
A grown-ups cheese sandwich lunch
- 1 (16 ounce) loaf ciabatta, cut in half horizontally and quarters vertically or 4 panini buns, sliced
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 4 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 8 ounces thinly sliced Mancheggo or Mozzarella
- 12 basil leaves
- 8 ounces cooked deli ham
- 1 plum tomato, thinly sliced
- 4 pepperoncinis
- 4 dill pickle slices
- 16 carrot sticks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Dipping Sauce
- 1/4 cup apricot jam
- 1 rounded tablespoon of Dijon Mustard
YIELD: 4 servings
COURSE: Lunch and Sandwiches
- Brush the cut side of the bottom bread half with mustard. Brush cut side of the top half with vinegar. Top the bottom half with Manchego, basil, ham, peppers, and tomato. Top with remaining bread half.
- Make dipping sauce; in a small bowl, mix together the jam and mustard.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Coat pan with olive oil. Add sandwich to pan; top with another heavy skillet. Cook 4 minutes on each side or until golden. Cut sandwich into halves. Serve panini with the dipping sauce, carrots and pickles on the side.