Chorizo Sausage and Manchego Cheese Tortilla
This substantial tortilla is delicious hot or cold. Cut it into chunky wedges and serve for supper or a light lunch with a fresh tomato and basil salad. The addition of spicy chorizo and tangy cheese gives it a wonderful, rich flavor.
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 6 oz chorizo or salsichón (Spanish spicy sausage), thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 lb waxy potatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 Spanish onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1cm dice
- 4 extra large eggs
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley, plus extra to garnish
- 4 oz whole / 1 cup grated Manchego cheese
- Salt and ground black pepper
YIELD: 2 to 3 servings
COURSE: Lunch and Sandwiches
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a medium non-stick frying pan and fry the sausage until brown and cooked through. Lift out with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- Add a further 2 tbsp oil to the pan and fry the potatoes, red pepper, and onions for 2-3 minutes, turning frequently .
- Cover tightly and cook at medium-low heat for about 30 minutes turning occasionally, until softened and slightly golden.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the eggs, parsley, cheese, sausage and plenty seasoning.
- Gently stir in the potatoes, peppers, and onions until coated, taking care not to break up the potato too much.
- Wipe out the pan with kitchen paper and heat the remaining 2 tbsp oil.
- Add the potato mixture and cook, over very low heat, until the egg begins to set. Use a metal spatula to prevent the tortilla from sticking and allow the uncooked egg to run underneath.
- Preheat the grill (broiler) to high. When the base of the tortilla has set, which should take about 5 minutes, protect the pan's handle with foil and place the tortilla under the grill until it is set and golden.
- Cut into wedges and serve garnished with parsley and slices of serrano ham.