Chorizo Sausage and Manchego Cheese Tortilla
This substantial tortilla is delicious hot or cold. Cut it into chunky wedges and serve for supper or a light lunch with a fresh tomato and basil salad. The addition of spicy chorizo and tangy cheese gives it a wonderful, rich flavor.
5 tbsp olive oil
6 oz chorizo or salsichón (Spanish spicy sausage), thinly sliced
1 1/2 lb waxy potatoes, thinly sliced
2 Spanish onions, halved and thinly sliced
4 extra large eggs
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley, plus extra to garnish
4 oz whole / 1 cup grated Manchego cheese
Salt and ground black pepper
YIELD: 1 circle
COURSE: Appetizers Tapas Meze
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a 8-inch non-stick frying pan and fry the sausage until golden brown and cooked through. Lift out with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
Add a further 2 tbsp oil to the pan and fry the potatoes and onions for 2-3 minutes, turning frequently (the pan will be very full).
Cover tightly and cook over a gentle heat for about 30 minutes turning occasionally, until softened and slightly golden.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the eggs, parsley, cheese, sausage and plenty seasoning.
- Gently stir in the potatoes and onions until coated, taking care not to break up the potato too much.
- Wipe out the pan with kitchen paper and heat the remaining 2 tbsp oil.
- Add the potato mixture and cook, over a very low heat, until the egg begins to set. Use a metal spatula to prevent the tortilla from sticking and allow the uncooked egg to run underneath.
- Preheat the grill (broiler) to high. When the base of the tortilla has set, which should take about 5 minutes, protect the pan handle with foil and place the tortilla under the grill until it is set and golden.
- Cut into wedges and serve garnished with parsley.