Usually baked as a birthday treat.
This is a complex recipe. Read the entire recipe before starting.
Turn on the oven. For regular oven, set at 350 degrees. For a convection oven, set at 320 degrees
Butter and flour a deep 9 inch or 10-inch springform pan.
2 1/2 cups finely ground hazelnuts
1 tbsp flour
1 cup fine breadcrumbs
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
8 egg yolks
1/3 cup water - 1 tbsp for egg whites
8 egg whites
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp water
5 tbsp Birds custard powder
2 tbsp sugar
2 cups milk
1/4 pound soft butter
200 g (7 oz) Nutella
2 tbsp Amaretto or Frangelico
Apricot jam as filling between layers
Toasted sliced almonds
YIELD: 1 10 inch 3 layer cake
Mixing and Baking:
Combine ingredients for mix A, Set aside.
- Mix B: beat egg yolks with sugar and water until light and fluffy. Set Aside.
- Mix C: beat the egg whites until stiff. Add the salt. Slowly add the tablespoon of water while still beating. Set aside.
- Add mix B to mix A, Mix slightly and then fold into mix C.
- Fill the prepared springform with the resulting batter and place into the oven. Bake for about 40 minutes. Test for doneness after 35 minutes, using a toothpick. When done, remove cake from oven and let cool.
- When the cake is cool, place it in the refrigerator for 2 hours, so that it can be easily sliced. Remove and slice the cake into 3 layers.
- Buttercream Topping: While the cake is baking and cooling, make the topping. Combine the Bird's custard powder and sugar. Gradually add the 2 cups of milk, stirring to blend. Cook over medium heat until mixture comes to a full boil, stirring constantly. Let cool to room temperature. Then beat in the soft butter, Nutella, and Amaretto and blend until very smooth.
Cover the first cake layer with apricot jam. Optionally, also add a thin layer of marzipan at this point. Add the second cake layer. Add a generous layer of the buttercream topping. Add the third cake layer. Cover the entire cake with the buttercream mixture.
Sprinkle the cake with the toasted sliced hazelnuts.