Fettuccine with Italian Sausage and Arugula
The magic combination: easy to make and great tasting!
- 6 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 small onions, sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced thinnly
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 10 oz. Hot or sweet Italian sausage, (about 2-3 links) casings removed, cut into small rounds
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 Tsp dried sage or Italian seasoning mix
- 8 ounces gemelli or fettuccine
- 6 cups baby arugula or spinach
- 2 Tbl. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
YIELD: 4 servings as a main course
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Toss onions, fennel, and 2 tablespoons oil on a rimmed baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper. Spread out into a single layer. Roast until vegetables and sausage are cooked through and a little browned about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still 7firm to bite. Drain pasta, reserving 3/4 cup cooking liquid.
- When ready, transfer cooked pasta and contents of sheet-pan to a large frying or saute pan. Add tomatoes with juices. Add sage. Add lemon zest. Add remaining 4 tablespoons of oil. Simmer until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Add the arugula. Toss over medium heat until sauce coats pasta, and arugula wilts. If the mixture looks dry, Add reserved cooking liquid by 1/4 cupfuls. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to serving dishes; sprinkle with cheese and serve.