Four Bean Salad
A summer standard. Bean salad is one of those quintessential Canadian / American summer picnic foods
- 1 15-oz can cannellini or Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-oz can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-oz can black, cranberry, or garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 lb of green or yellow wax beans, blanched in boiling water for about 3 minutes.
- 2 celery stalks, chopped fine
- 1 sweet onion chopped fine
- 1 bell pepper , yellow, red or green, cored and cut into small dice
- 1 cup fresh, finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh finely chopped rosemary
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
YIELD: Serves 8-10 as an appetizer, 4-6 as a lunch
COURSE: Salads and Dressings
- In a large bowl, mix the beans, celery, onion, parsley, bell pepper and rosemary.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, sugar, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Add the dressing to the beans. Toss to coat.
- Chill beans in the refrigerator for several hours, to allow the beans to soak up the flavor of the dressing.