Mushroom, Tomato, Onion Curry
A vegetarian curry, by gosh.
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red cayenne pepper
- 1/2 to 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 pound tomatoes
- 1 pound purple onions, chopped
- 1 pound mushrooms, cremini, shiitake, oyster, white, your choice
YIELD: 6 to 8 servings
In a medium pot, wash and drain the basmati rice in cold water. Add 3 1/2 cups cold water and let soak for 10 minutes. Place pot on high heat and add canola / safflower oil and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for 15 minutes. Turn off heat, but do not remove cover for 5 minutes. Remove lid and stir.
Wipe mushrooms carefully. Cut larger mushrooms to bite size. In a large pot, heat the butter on low heat until it melts. Add the cumin seeds, and increase heat slightly. Saute the cumin seeds for about 45 seconds or until you can see them sizzle. Make sure the heat isn't too high so as not to burn the butter.
- Add the onions and saute for 7 to 8 minutes or until they are light brown. Add the garlic and saute for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low, add the turmeric, cayenne pepper, garam masala and salt. Increase heat slightly and saute for 2 minutes. Add the water, increase heat to high, cover and bring to a boil. Remove the lid, reduce heat to medium and add the mushrooms and tomatoes. Sir well and return to a boil. Turn off heat,as the mushrooms will cook quickly.
- Place equal portions of the rice in large bowls, ladle the curry over the rice and serve.