Serve with a chicken dish, or with pork chops
- 4 large ripe tomatoes
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 7 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 scant cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
YIELD: Serves 4
COURSE: Vegetables and Sides
Heat your oven to 350 degrees F.
Wash and dry the tomatoes, then cut in half width-wise and spoon out the innards.
Blot the tomatoes dry using paper towels and then place the tomato halves cut side up in a 9 by 13-inch baking dish.
Saute the onion, bacon, and garlic in 3 tablespoons of olive oil over fairly low heat, for 6 to 8 minutes.
Combine 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, basil, Parmesan, and breadcrumbs with the onion, bacon and garlic mixture. Season to taste. Divide the stuffing between the tomato halves and then drizzle the remaining olive oil over the tops.
- Bake the tomatoes for 25 to 30 minutes or until the filling is crisp and golden. Keep hot until serving time.