Marble Potatoes with Fennel and Peppers
An Italian Contorni (side) dish.
1 1/2 pounds marble potatoes or nugget potatoes cut in thirds to make marbles
1 fennel bulb
1 red and 1 yellow bell peppers
zest from one lemon
salt and black pepper
For the Vinaigrette:
1 1/3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon liquid honey
1 table spoon Dijon or grainy mustard
3-4 tablespoons of olive oil
YIELD: 6 servings
COURSE: Vegetables and Sides
- Boil the marble potatoes in salted water for 15 - 18 minutes, until you can pierce them easily with a fork. Drain and set aside
- Remove and toss the core of the fennel, slice it as thinly as you can manage. Cut the peppers in quarters lengthwise,. then remove and discard seeds and pith. Cut peppers into 1/3 inch strips.
- Saute the fennel and peppers until the peppers are soft. Add the lemon zest and some salt and pepper.
- . Put the potatoes, fennel, and peppers in a large bowl.
- Mix all the dressing ingredients in a small jar. Place the lid on the jar and shake till the dressing emulsifies.
- Pour the dressing into the bowl of vegetables and mix everything around with your hands.
- Season with additional salt and pepper and serve. Goes great with roasted or baked chicken.