Potatoes with Saffron and Pine Nuts
Small potatoes, cooked with saffron and finished with a handful of pine nuts, just ass they like it in Cadiz.
- 2 pounds of small potatoes, (waxy yellow)
- 1 large Spanish onion, very thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3-4 large ripe tomatoes
- 12 saffron threads
- 1 glass sherry
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons green or black olives
- To Finish:
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon of your best olive oil
YIELD: Serves 4
COURSE: Vegetables and Sides
Scrub the potatoes. Drop them into cold salted water, to await attention.
Gently fry the onion and the garlic in olive oil. Chop the tomatoes. Add them and the saffron to the onion in the pan. Fry for a minutes. Add the sherry and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and let everything bubble gently to a thick puree. Add the potatoes, salt and enough water to almost cover the potatoes. Bring to a boil, remove the cover and let cook until the potatoes are almost done. Add the olives and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- To finish: toast the pine nuts, in a dry frying pan. Watch carefully and remove as soon as they start to brown. Add nuts to the potatoes in a large bowl and serve immediately.