Wild Rice Casserole
This is a good anchor dish. You can make a first class meal by adding a meat/seafood and a vegetable.
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup finely chopped onions
1 cup wild rice or a wild/brown basmati rice mixture
3 cups vegetable stock
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/2 to 3/4 cups diced bell peppers or zucchini
YIELD: makes 4 servings
COURSE: Vegetables and Sides
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
• Melt butter in a large frying pan on medium heat
• Add onion and celery and saute until tender, about 5 minutes
• Add rice, stir in stock, lemon zest, bell peppers or zucchini and salt & pepper
• Increase heat to medium-high, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 5 to 8 minutes to give the basmati rice a good start.
• Transfer ingredients to an oven-proof casserole dish with a lid
• Bake covered for 30 to 35 minutes