Making eggs benedict requires careful timing. You have to have warm bacon, hot buttered toasted English muffins, eggs poached not too hard and not too runny, and a warm, creamy, unbroken Hollandaise sauce, all at about the same time.
Eggs benedict is also great made with slices of smoked salmon in place of the bacon.
Required Equipment: an egg poacher - available at any kitchen store.
FOR THE MUFFINS:
4 pieces of Canadian bacon
2 tablespoons chopped parsley, for garnish
2 English muffins
FOR THE HOLLANDAISE:
3/4 cup unsalted butter
3 egg yolks
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp. cayenne or 10 drops tabasco
YIELD: 4 breakfasts
COURSE: Breakfast and Brunch
- 1 Start with the bacon. Heat a large skillet on medium low heat. Add the slices of Canadian bacon. Slowly fry, turning occasionally, until the bacon is browned on both sides.. Use tongs or a fork to remove the bacon from the pan..
- 2 Make the blender hollandaise. To make blender hollandaise, melt 3/4 cup unsalted butter. Put 3 egg yolks, a tablespoon of lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt in a blender, blend on medium to medium high speed for 20-30 seconds, until eggs lighten in color. Turn blender down to lowest setting, slowly dribble in the hot melted butter, while continuing to blend. Taste for salt and acidity and add more salt or lemon juice to taste.Transfer it to a container you can use for pouring and set it in a warm place..
- 3 While the bacon is cooking, bring a large an egg poacher two-thirds-filled with water to a boil. Spray the cups with oil, and fill them with eggs. Lower the heat to a simmer and let them poach for exactly 6 minutes (works for us!).
- 4 As soon as all the eggs are poaching, begin toasting your English muffins. If you can’t get all the muffins toasted by the time the eggs are ready, remove the eggs from the poacher and set aside.
- 5 To assemble the eggs benedict, start with the English muffins. Top with a slice of Canadian bacon. Put a poached egg on top of the bacon, then pour some hollandaise over. Sprinkle some parsley over it all and serve at once.