English Yuletide Cake
Our traditional Christmas Cake, updated for modern times.
- Fruit Ingredients:
- 1 pound seedless dark raisins
- 2 pounds light raisins
- 1/4 pound candied green pineapple
- 1/2 pound candied red cherries
- 1/2 pound mixed peel
- 1 pound blanched almonds
- Other Ingredients:
- 1 pound butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 dozen eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup cognac or brandy
- 4 cups all purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
YIELD: 3 Christmas cakes, small, medium and large
- Heat oven to 275 degrees F. (or 250 degrees F if a convection oven). Line your small, medium and large set of cake tins with a double layer of baking parchment.
- Put 2 cups of flour in a large bowl and then mix with the fruit ingredients, raisins through almonds.
- Mix the other 2 cups of flour with the other ingredients.
- Add the other ingredients mixture to the fruit mixture and stir well, making sure there are no pockets of flour. Tip into your prepared tins. Level the tops with a spatula.
- Bake the small tin for 2 hours, the medium tin for 2 1/2 hours and the large tin for 3 hours. Test each tin for doneness, using a toothpick, which will come out clean when the cake is done.