Mountain Style Chicken and Rice - Arroz de Montana
This rice dish, common in the mountainous parts of Spain has chicken and chorizo in the base recipe, but you may add or substitute pork and swap the chorizo for mild sausage.
3 tablespoons olive oil
8 ounces Spanish chorizo, or mild pork sausage, skin removed, cut into 1/4-inch coins
6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 medium onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
1 red bell pepper, seeded, cut into 1/4-inch dice
1 green bell pepper, seeded, cut into 1/4-inch dice
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 1/4 cups Bomba or Arborio or another Spanish rice
1 teaspoon dulce paprika or 1 1/.2 teaspoons Espelette pepper
6 cups chicken stock
2 tomatoes, cut into 1/4 inch dice
One 15-ounce can whole or diced tomatoes
3/4 cup small pimento-stuffed green olives
1 to 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
1 pinch saffron threads, crumbled (optional)
YIELD: 8 servings
COURSE: Casseroles and One Pots
Prep Time: 20 min
Cooking Time: 45 min
Total Time: 1 hrs 5 min
- In a large dutch oven or Spanish Cazuela, warm the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chick and sausage and cook, stirring and turning frequently for about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and reserve.
- In the same pan, add the onions, peppers, and garlic. Cook until the vegetables soften a little and brown slightly. Stir in the paprika or Espelette and saffron, if using.
- Return the chicken and sausage to the pan. Add two cups of the stock and the canned tomatoes. Cook over medium-low heat for about 20 minutes, stirring from time to time
- Add the remaining stock and bring to a boil. Cook uncovered for 10 minutes. Stir in the fresh tomatoes, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for a final 8 minutes or until the rice grains are tender.
- Remove from heat, add parsley and let rest for a minute or 2 before serving.