Apple, gruyere and Chicken Tarte
4 tbs unsalted butter
3-4 medium shallots peeled and sliced thinly
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup thinly sliced button mushrooms
1 granny smith apple, peeled, cored and sliced into 1/4 inch slices
2 tbs lemon juice
1 1/2 tbs fresh chopped parsey, thyme and tarragon
1 large or 2 small chicken breasts, cooked, cooled and cut into 1/3 inch dice
salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste
3 large eggs and 1 1/2 cups heavy cream whisked together
1 1/2 cups grated gruyere
1 9 inch pie crust
YIELD: 1 9 inch pie
COURSE: Sandwiches and Lunch
- Heat oven to 365 degrees F.
- Saute the shallots and garlic in the butter over medium heat. Do not brown.
- When shallots have softened somewhat, add the mushrooms and apples. Cook until ingredients are softened and liquid in the pan is almost evaporated.
- Deglaze the pan with a spritz of lemon juice. Stir in the herbs and the cooked chicken.
- Remove from heat and stir in the egg/cream mixture. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Stir in one cup of the grated cheese.
- Pour mixture into the prepared pie shell and top with the remaining gruyere. Transfer to a sheet pan and place on the lower shelf of the oven. Bake until set and lightly browned, about 35 to 45 minutes.