The Mate's Tomato Tart
Easy to prepare. Even the river barge's mate can do it.
- pate brise pastry for a 10 inch tart pan
- 4 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 or 3 large ripe tomatoes
- 2 or three leeks, white and light green portions, cut into coins
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of capers
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh chives, chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup of grated french cheese
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
YIELD: makes one 10 inch pie
COURSE: Sandwiches and Lunch
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Make your pie shell using this recipe Line a tart pan with pastry. Flute or fold the edges neatly. Bake the empty tart for 5 minutes to avoid a soggy bottom in the finished dish.
- Brush a thick layer of Dijon mustard across the inside bottom of the pan. Layer slices of tomato and leek across the pan. Drizzle with a little olive oil. Sprinkle with the capers and fresh herbs, salt, and pepper. Top with the grated cheese.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the pastry is golden and crisp. Slice and serve warm.