Green Beans with Pine Nuts
Simple vegetable dish to accompany any meal. Also good with almonds rather than pine nuts.
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 pound green beans, topped, tailed and cut in half or thirds
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, sliced goodfellas thin
- salt and pepper to taste
- juice of 1/2 lemon (1 1/2 tablespoons)
YIELD: 8 servings as a tapas dish
COURSE: Vegetables and Sides
- Heat the pine nuts for about 1 minute in a small dry skillet. Shake frequently, as they burn easily. Sprinkle with the paprika, and then set aside.
- Put the beans in a pan, pour boiling water over them, return to a boil, and cook for 3 minutes or until tender but firm. Drain and set aside.
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet, and add the onions. Cook 5 to 10 minutes, or until softened and starting to brown. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Add the beans to the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes longer, tossing together with the onions. Transfer to a serving dish, sprinkle with the lemon juice. Sprinkle the pine nuts over the dish. Serve hot.