Roasting draws dense rich flavors from fresh green asparagus.
16 spears of asparagus
1 medium shallot, finely chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt, preferably Kosher
freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons pine nuts
1 ounce Shavings of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
YIELD: 4 side dish servings
COURSE: Vegetables and Sides
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Rinse the asparagus and trim the tough ends. Arrange the asparagus on a baking sheet in a single layer. Scatter the shallot over the spears. Drizzle some olive oil over the spears. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roll asparagus around to coat it with the dressing. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons water.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and roast until the asparagus is cooked through, about 12 minutes.
- Transfer to 4 individual salad plates. Scatter the pine nuts and shavings of cheese on top of the asparagus, season with a little more salt and serve.
- As an alternative to the pine nuts and cheese, try drizzling the asparagus with a high-quality Balsamic Vinegar.