Roasting draws dense rich flavors from fresh green asparagus.
- 16 spears of asparagus
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt, preferably Kosher
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 ounce Shavings of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
YIELD: 4 side dish servings
COURSE: Vegetables and Sides
Prep Time: 15 min
Cooking Time: 15 min
Total Time: 30 min
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Rinse the asparagus and trim the tough ends. Arrange the asparagus on a baking sheet in a single layer. Scatter the shallots and garlic over the spears. Scatter the tomato halves over the spears. Drizzle some olive oil over the spears. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roll asparagus around to coat it with the dressing. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons water.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and roast until the asparagus is cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer to 4 individual side plates. Scatter the pine nuts and shavings of cheese on top of the asparagus, season with a little more salt and serve.
- As an alternative to the pine nuts and cheese, try drizzling the asparagus with a high-quality Balsamic Vinegar.