Apple - Walnut Salad
A nice alternative to Waldorf Salad
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 3 tablespoons grape-seed or olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons liquid honey
- 1/2 cup dried tart cherries (3 ounces)
- OR 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 head of Romaine, or red-leaf lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces (just enough to cover the center- bottom of plates)
- OR 2 cups of spring mix 1 medium Honey-crisp, Gala or Jonagold apple, cored, sliced and one Granny Smith apple, cored, sliced
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped toasted walnuts
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion or shallots
- 1 teaspoon salt
YIELD: 4 to 6 servings
COURSE: Salads and Dressings
Whisk first 4 ingredients in small bowl to blend. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper.
Toss lettuce and apple slices in large bowl. Add dressing and toss to coat.
Divide among 4 plates; sprinkle with dried cherries, walnuts, cheese and freshly ground black pepper and serve.