One of our favourite chicken recipes. Lots of complex flavors going on. Fairly simple and fast for a weeknight meal, but also a good anchor for a fancy meal.
- 8 dried apricots, cut into thirds. 1/3 cup apricot jam
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock or white wine
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary or tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco or other hot sauce
- freshly ground black pepper
YIELD: 4 servings
COURSE: Chicken & Other Birds
- In a large sauté pan, heat the butter and 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Working in batches, place chicken pieces in the pan, without crowding the pan, and brown them on each side. As the chicken cooks, sprinkle salt over it. Once the chicken is browned, remove the pieces from the pan to a bowl and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan and sauté the onion until it begins to brown. As the onion cooks and releases moisture, use a spatula or wooden spoon to scrape off the fond ( browned bits) from the bottom of the pan.
- Once the onions have browned a bit, add the chicken stock and lower the heat to medium. Put the dried apricot pieces and the apricot jam into the pan with the chicken stock and onions.
- Add the cinnamon, rosemary and Tabasco and taste. You may need to add some salt. Bring to a simmer, then lower the heat and gently simmer for about 10 minutes.
- When you are ready to serve, put the chicken back into the pan and simmer gently for 2 minutes.
- Serve hot with rice, pasta or potatoes, and a couple of nice veggies.