Creamy Spinach and Artichoke Soup with Cheese Tortellini
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup of canned artichoke hearts, roughly chopped
4 garlic cloves, pressed through a garlic press
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
2 cups chicken broth
4 ounces cream cheese softened and cubed
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
? to ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, depending on how spicy you like it
½ teaspoon salt
10 ounces fresh cheese tortellini
1 cup fresh spinach chopped
YIELD: 6 servings
COURSE: Soups and Stews
- In a large pot, melt butter and saute artichoke hearts for 3-4 minutes over medium-high heat. Add garlic and sauté one more minute.
- Sprinkle flour over garlic and artichoke hearts, and saute for 1 minute stirring constantly.
- Pour milk, chicken broth, and cream cheese into the pot and bring to a gentle boil. Stirring frequently, allow the soup to gently boil until it is slightly thickened and the cream cheese has melted.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese, cayenne pepper, and salt.
- While the soup is still gently boiling, add cheese tortellini and cook for 6-7 minutes.
- Stir in chopped spinach and serve.