Suppa di Tortellini Toscana
The traditional ones are always great.
1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 smallish yellow onions, chopped
1 lb. pork or chicken sausage links, mild or spicey
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
4 cups. low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp. kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 300 g. package refrigerated cheese tortellini
1 15 oz. can white beans, undrained
5 oz. baby spinach, roughly chopped if large
Grated Parmesan, for garnish
YIELD: Serves 4 to 6
COURSE: Soups and Stews
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion and cook until tender and lightly golden, 6 minutes. Add sausage and cook until sausage is golden, 4-6 minutes more. Stir in the garlic, crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, and red pepper flakes and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a rolling simmer and simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in white beans and tortellini. Simmer 10 minutes more.
- Stir in spinach and cook until wilted, 1 minute.
- Garnish with Parmesan and serve.