Pico De Gallo
Salting and draining the tomatoes guarantees better flavour and texture. This sauce is also known as Salsa Fresco.
- 1 1/2 pounds ripe Roma tomatoes, cut into 1/4- to 1/2-inch dice (about 3 cups)
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 large white onion, finely diced (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 to 2 serrano or jalapeño chilies, finely diced (seeds and membranes removed for a milder salsa)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon lime juice from 1 lime a pinch of dried oregano
YIELD: about 1 litre
COURSE: Sauces and Salsas
Prep Time: 30 min
Total Time: 30 min
- Season tomatoes with 1 teaspoon salt and toss to combine. Transfer to a fine-mesh strainer or colander set in a bowl and allow to drain for 20 to 30 minutes. Discard liquid.
- Combine drained tomatoes with onion, chilies, cilantro, oregano, and lime juice. Toss to combine and season to taste with salt. Pico de gallo can be stored for up to 3 days in a sealed container in the refrigerator.