Parsnip Potato Carrot Latkes with horseradish cream
There is no one way to serve latkes. Some people like them as an hors d'oeuvre while others make a meal of them. This recipe is good for about 4 persons.
- 1 large russet (baking) potato (8 to 10 oz), peeled and shredded with a box grater.
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 medium parsnips (1 lb total), peeled and coarsely grated
- 1 cup shredded peeled carrots
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives (green onions may be substituted)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup vegetable or olive oil
- 3/4 cup sour cream (or 75% yogurt 25% marscapone mix)
- 2-3 teaspoons horseradish
YIELD: about 15 latkes
COURSE: Vegetables and Sides
- Combine sour cream and horseradish; refrigerate.
- Combine parsnips, potatoes, and carrots in a colander. Press down with paper towels to remove excess moisture. Place in a large bowl, add onions, flour, salt, pepper.
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Divide parsnip mixture into 15 patties (latkes) heat oil in a skillet, fry 5 latkes at a time, about 3 minutes per side until brown, remove to a baking sheet.
- Repeat with remaining latkes. Bake latkes for 10 minutes, turning after 5 minutes. Sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper.
- Serve with horseradish cream.