English Style Roast Potatoes
Learn how to create a crispy outside with a steaming fluffy inside every time. Great with roast chicken, beef or pork and wonderful served with roasted garlic and sour cream. Soooo delicious.
6 medium to large sized russet potatoes peeled
1/4 cup butter/olive oil combination
½ tsp kosher salt
½ tsp cracked black pepper
1 whole garlic bulb broken into about 4 pieces
YIELD: 6 hefty servings
COURSE: Vegetables and Sides
Prep Time: 20 min
Cooking Time: 1 hrs 15 min
Total Time: 1 hrs 35 min
- Parboil the potatoes in salted water for about 5 or 6 minutes.
- In a 375 degree F oven, heat a baking pan of sufficient size to hold your potatoes without crowding them. A glass or metal pan is fine, as long as it is well heated beforehand. This will help to prevent the potatoes from sticking to the pan. After parboiling, drain the potatoes and let them stand for 5 minutes. Then toss the potatoes with the olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic cloves.
- Transfer the seasoned potatoes, garlic and oil to the hot baking pan. These should sizzle as they hit the pan; a good indication that they will not stick.
- Roast the potatoes for about 1¼ hours or until they are nicely golden brown all over, turning them every 20 minutes or so.
- After the first 10 minutes, give the pan a shake to make sure the potatoes are not stuck to it.
- The roasted garlic will have to be removed before the potatoes are finished as it generally cooks faster. 45 minutes or less should be enough to fully cook the roasted garlic.