Pizza alla Salsiccia
The combination of Italian sausage, fennel, and red onion combines spicy heat with an intriguing anise flavour.
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 (4-ounce) link sweet turkey Italian sausage
1/2 cup vertically sliced fennel bulb
1/2 cup thinly vertically sliced red onion (about 1 small onion)
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
2/3 cup chopped seeded tomato (about 2 tomatoes)
1 (10-inch) Basic Pizza Dough
1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
YIELD: 8 wedges
- Position an oven rack in the lowest setting. Place a pizza stone on the lowest rack.
- Heat oven to 500° F. Preheat pizza stone 30 minutes before baking pizza.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add pepper to pan; cook 10 seconds.
- Remove casings from sausage. Add sausage, fennel, and onion to pan; sauté 4 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble sausage. Stir in salt. Add tomato; sauté 2 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat.
- Spread sausage mixture over Basic Pizza Dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Slide dough onto the preheated pizza stone, using a spatula as a guide.
- Bake at 500° F for 8 minutes or until crust is golden. Remove from pizza stone. Sprinkle with cheese. Cut pizza into 8 wedges.