A large recipe, for feeding the farm workers in summer.
- 8 litres water
- 1 large ham hock
- 3 large onions, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp dried dill
- 300g (8 cups) of sorrel leaves, chopped
- 6 to 8 large potatoes, cut into bite sized dice
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped finely
- 1 litre buttermilk
- salt and pepper to taste
YIELD: roughly 16 servings
- Boil the water and the ham hock for about 3 hours, until the meat is ready to come away from the bone.
- Combine all ingredients except the sorrel, meat and the buttermilk. Bring to a boil, turn stove to medium low and cook until the potatoes are soft.
- Add the buttermilk, sorrel and chopped up meat. Return to the boil. Taste for acidity and salt. Add lemon juice or salt accordingly. Serve and enjoy.