Zucchini dish from the Hole in the Wall
Margaret Shaw brought this recipe home from England in the late 1960's where it was served at the Hole in the Wall Restaurant, Bath. We have since found that it is a classic Italian dish called "Zucchini e Pomodori Gratinati"
2 pounds zucchini, sliced. (use thinner zucchini)
3 tbsp butter
1 28 oz. can chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
3 cloves garlic, chopped
salt and pepper
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs (put leftover bread in food processor) or ½ cup bought breadcrumbs (they are finer).
8 tbsp grated gruyere cheese
6 tbsp grated fresh parmesan
YIELD: Makes 8 servings as a side dish
COURSE: Vegetables and Sides
- Place zucchini slices in a colander and sprinkle with 1 tsp salt. Toss gently and let drain for 1 hour. Dump onto paper towels and pat dry.
- In a large skillet, cook zucchini with butter on medium heat, stirring, for 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Put the can of chopped tomatoes, in the skillet. Add the basil and the garlic. Cook, stirring, approximately 15 minutes or until most of the liquid is evaporated. Season the sauce with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the zucchini in a medium baking dish, and top with the tomato mixture.
- Mix the cheeses and breadcrumbs. Sprinkle like a crumble on top. Bake for 20-30 minutes at 375 F. Put under the broiler to brown if necessary.