The easiest solution? Use a hand blender and in 30 seconds you will have a creamy and delicious homemade mayonnaise.
You only need 5 ingredients, plus an immersion blender and a jar. Use a tall and narrow jar, with the opening that’s just wide enough to accommodate your immersion blender. You can use the same jar to make and store the mayonnaise. Make sure that the oil and egg are cold from the fridge.
- 1 egg cold from the fridge
- 200 ml sunflower oil cold from the fridge
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar or lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
YIELD: about 1 cup
COURSE: Salads and Dressings
Prep Time: 2 min
Total Time: 2 min
- Put all the ingredients into a tall, narrow container. I used the one that came with my immersion blender. Follow this order: egg (be careful not to break the yolk), oil, white vinegar, salt, Dijon mustard.
- Insert the immersion blender and push it all the way to the bottom of the jar. Turn it on at the highest speed and DO NOT move the blender for 10 seconds.
- Almost instantly the mixture will begin to emulsify and look like mayo. Now you can move the immersion blender up and down to incorporate any oil that is sitting on the top.
- Your homemade mayonnaise is ready. Keep it refrigerated and use it within one week.