Heart-shaped cookies with raspberry jam filling.
Note: You will need 2 cutters for each cookie. One large and one very small. Their shape can be round, square, heart-shaped or star-shaped.
- 6 cups (900 g) Flour
- 2 cups (450 g) sugar
- 454 g butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- zest of one large lemon
- 6 egg-yolks
- raspberry jam
- lemon icing
YIELD: about 5 dozen
COURSE: Bread and Baking
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream butter and sugar. Beat in the egg yolks one at a time. Add vanilla and lemon zest. Then mix in the flour. Be careful not to make the dough too solid.
- These are two-layer cookies. Bottom Layer: Roll out a small batch of dough, fairly thin. Cut this dough with the larger cookie cutter. Top Layer: Roll out the next dough and again cut with the larger cookie cutter, but then cut out the center with the smaller cookie cutter. Make sure that you keep track of how many cookie halves you have for each layer.
- Place the cookies on a cookie sheet and then into the oven. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until slightly browned. Set out to cool. When cool, spread raspberry jam on the whole cookie. Cover with a second cookie that has its center cut out. Glaze with lemon icing.