Greek Spinach Salad
Spinach salad is a relative newcomer to the Greek table. Indeed raw spinach is also relatively new to the Greeks who are used to using spinach cooded into pies anda spanikopitas.
- 8 cups baby spinach
- 1 ripe but firm avocado
- 1 red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas (canned are fine) (optional)
- 1/2 cup Greek feta, crumbled or diced
- 1/2 cup Greek wrinkled (or smooth) olives
- 1 blook, cara cars or navel orange, peel and cut into sections
- Olive and lemon juice dressing
YIELD: serves 4, with chickpeas makes a light lunch
COURSE: Salads and Dressings
- Coarsely chop the spinach (if preferred). Wash and spin dry in a salad spinner. Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Cut the avocado into slices. Peel and cut each slice in half. Add to the bowl with the spinach.
- Add the onions, chickpeas (if using) feta, olives, and orange slices to the bowl. Toss the salad with dressing and serve.