Greek Country Salad - Horiatiki
A traditional Greek salad is a staple in just about any Greek restaurant anywhere in the world.
- 4-5 large tomatoes (ripe- this is vital)
- 1 cucumber
- 2 or 3 bell peppers (green,red,yellow)
- 1 large onion (red)
- salt (sea, to taste)
- olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 pound feta cheese, (Greek, sliced or crumbled)
- Freshly ground Black pepper
- 1 dozen Greek olives (Kalamata, green Cretan olives, etc.)
- Garnish: pepper (pickled pepperoncini hot peppers, capers)
YIELD: 4 to 6 servings
COURSE: Salads and Dressings
Prep Time: 15 min
Total Time: 15 min
- Wash and dry the tomatoes, cucumber and bell peppers. Clean off the outer skin from the onion, wash and dry. Cut the tomatoes into bite-sized irregularly shaped chunks. Salt lightly. Slice the cucumber into 1/4-inch slices, cutting slices in half (peel the cucumber if it is not an English cucumber). Salt lightly. Slice the peppers into rings, removing the stem and seeds. Salt lightly. Slice the onion into thin rings.
- Combine the tomatoes, cucumbers, green pepper and onion in a large salad bowl. Sprinkle with oregano, pour olive oil over the salad, and toss.
- Just before serving, place the feta on top of the salad, either as one slice per guest or crumbled, and sprinkle the cheese with oregano and pepper. Toss in some olives.